Use under Linux/OSX ?

Mar 13, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Hi!

Has anybody tested this under any flavour of *nix/*nux, as yet ? :)

If so, what were the results, please?

If not, well looks like I might be one of the first...

Developer
Mar 15, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Yes. I had test the Hart Communication Protocol Lite library (not the WPF Application) under Mac OS x 10.6 with Mono 2.6 and it works like under Windows.

Mar 15, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Brilliant, Sebastian, thanks!

I have OSX 10.6 on an oldish MBP that I could use but I'm thinking I should give Linux a crack. I'm keen to see something like PactWare/FieldCare on a non-Windows platform.

The only issue I have is that I have the idea but not the coding skills - I might know enough to conceptualise the components  but not how to connect the blocks, as it were.

Developer
Mar 15, 2012 at 3:32 PM

We just want to hold this project small. The part you wish is very complex and big, such more as our available ressources at the moment. It might be easy to expand this project with Mono for your idea but i could not make this ensure.

Mar 15, 2012 at 3:59 PM
Edited Mar 15, 2012 at 4:01 PM

No problem, mate, I have a habit of trying to run before I can crawl :-)

I'm keen to contribute if I can even if it's the odd bit of testing here and there. 

I gather the comms is a generic interaction/transaction at the moment, so I'm imagining that the project isn't at the stage of being able to use a DTM,  generic or otherwise - is this understanding correct?

P.S.  I'm UTC +8 so I'll be gone for a while before I reply next... :-)

Coordinator
Mar 16, 2012 at 10:21 AM

This project is only a small and simple project to communicate with field devices via HART protocol. This part is only the communication layer of a DTM. In the last few years our software company develop a complex communication framework for field devices. This library is designed for object orientated patterns. We represent field devices as a complex DeviceModel (DTM) to communicate with them.

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Gotcha, so this is the basic "begin comms transaction, pass simple command transaction, display string result" module or component and the associated analyser permits testing of the module, yes?

Forgive me if I seem a little dense with my line of questioning.

I'm used to industrial automation "programming" at a higher-level (such as DCS or PLC configuration) and not with lower-level OS-based languages such as C++, or even Java ( I can code basic HTML in Notepad and Commodore Basic is a long-distant memory ! )

My comms experience is limited to using terminal software to communicate with ancient RS232-based devices and the odd home network setup.

However I've had a bit of experience as a user of HART FDT and DTM in point-to-point communication (digital over analog) mode

If you have the patience to weather some seemingly silly questions it'll help me understand what I'm up against with my idea.

Basically, I want to be able to use something nice and cheap, such as the Raspberry Pi, as a Linux OS 'powered' hardware platform to enable Instrumentation apprentices to build their own point-to-point HART Communicator as a project and a usable tool.

Coordinator
Mar 19, 2012 at 11:49 AM

The analyzer is only a tool that use the framework for communication.

The FDT standard is not considered in this framework. In the near future the fdtgroup release a new standard for FDT.
For more informations See: fdtgroup